The National Bar Association maintains a commitment to political issues on a national and international plane.
• Supported the nomination and confirmation of several African-Americans currently in key political and judicial positions.
• Developed a judicial selection process during the Carter Administration to ensure meaningful gains for minority judges under the Omnibus judgeship Act.
• Called for legislation to curb groups that advocate imminent violence.
• Testified before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on behalf of the Legal Services Corporation.
• Co-sponsored the NBA Women Lawyers Division U.S. Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony.
• In the Spring of 2000, The National Bar Association and West Group completed a joint project donating a gift of Westlaw access to the United Nations for use by the International Criminal Tribunals for Rwanda (ICTR) and for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). The gift provided unlimited access to Westlaw to approximate 400 United Nations prosecutors, judges and clerks staffed by both tribunal for four years